We offer three types of waste and recycling collections:
- Orange bins and sacks – for recycling
- Green bins – for garden waste
- Black bins – for rubbish which cannot be recycled or composted
Bins are emptied on an alternate weekly basis.
- One week your black bin will be collected, the following week your orange recycling and green garden waste bin (if you have one) will be collected.
- Garden waste collections are suspended over winter between 1 December and 1 March each year.
Waste and recycling operational policies
Our waste and recycling policy statements (PDF) set out our approach to the collection of waste within Bedford Borough.
Putting your bins out for collection
Your bins should be left at the edge of your property (closest to the highway) by 6am on your collection day and brought back on to your property as soon as possible after collection.
You can request new bins if you need additional containers or yours get damaged or stolen. Charges apply.
We will not collect black sacks which are left out alongside your bins.
Please do not leave your bins out for more than 24 hours after your collection. You can be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £75 for leaving your bins out.
Bins left out on pavements after your collection can lead to increased littering and encourage fly-tipping. They also create obstructions for residents, particularly affecting the blind / partially sighted and wheelchair users.
Where a property cannot accommodate a wheeled bin, an officer will visit and agree a suitable collection arrangement.