Our mission is to provide those that live, work and visit Bedford Borough with relevant information and services to allow them to make informed decisions on how they can keep themselves and others from coming to harm whilst using the road.
We will do this where appropriate in conjunction with our partners.
Road crashes happen to others, or so we think. But the majority of crashes are caused by human error. Whether walking, cycling, riding or driving in today's traffic conditions concentration, awareness of what's happening around us and the ability to deal with it are crucial.
In the UK, over a 1,000 people die each year on the roads. Tens of thousands are seriously injured and hundreds of thousands suffer minor injuries.
The Road Traffic Act (RTA) 1988 (as amended by the RTA 1991) places a statutory responsibility for road safety on local authorities. The act requires local authorities to prepare and carry out a programme of measures designed to promote road safety and enable a contribution to be made towards the cost of promoting road safety measures.
The areas that the Road Safety Team are here to deal with are :
Other areas relating to Road Safety such as Safety Audits or Road Engineering should be referred to the Borough Council Highways Helpdesk on 01234 718003 or https://highwaysreporting.bedford.gov.uk/
Road Safety Team
The Road Safety Team are responsible for raising awareness of road safety issues by use of the following initiatives :
- The provision of pre-school play boxes
- Educational programmes in schools
- Facilitating Bikeability cycle training
- Powered 2 wheel training and advice
- Pre driver / driver training and advice
- In-car safety (seatbelts/child seats/mobile phones/fatigue)
- At work road risk advice
- Horse rider advice
- Developing bespoke projects and campaigns to meet specific needs as they are identified
- Working with partners to maximise investment in both delivery of training and in raising awareness of road safety issues
- Distributing publicity materials and supporting activity for government and other agencies' campaigns.
We also manage the Borough’s School Crossing Patrol Service.