Learn how to maintain a healthy weight for you and your family.
Healthy weight management programme
If you or a family member are struggling with maintaining a healthy weight, then More Life can help.
Sessions cover a range of topics including healthy eating, physical activity and body image to help support sustainable change in a fun and friendly environment.
You can ask your GP or health professional to refer you to More Life or you can self refer via the website.
Work out your BMI
You can easily work out body mass index (BMI) by using the NHS BMI healthy weight calculator.
An active lifestyle is also important to prevent illness and improve our physical and mental well-being, helping us to feel our best.
Work out the amount of physical activity we need to do to stay healthy, depending on your age group.
Download the free Couch to 5K app.
Healthy lifestyle online resources
- Change4Life is designed for families with young children in mind. It features healthy eating tips, quick and easy family recipes, fun activities for kids and lots more!
- One You provides tips on how you can eat better, loose weight and keep active. There are a downloadable apps such as the ‘easy meals’ and the ‘couch to 5k’ to name but a few!
- NHS Eat Well provides information on how to eat healthily, exercise and understand what your weight means.
- Start4life for pregnant women, dads-to-be and new parents and their babies
- Healthy Start for those on benefits who are pregnant or have children under the age of four.
Monitoring overweight and obesity levels in children within primary schools
Children have their height and weight measured in Reception and Year 6 as part of the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP).
This information is used to plan and provide better services for children and families.
If your child's NCMP letter surprised or worried you, you can call the number on your results letter for advice and support or speak to your school Nurse or GP.