If you are over 65 years of age and are struggling to live safely and independently, then the Bedford Borough Older People’s Team may be able to help.
You can contact us about enquiries and referrals during these times:
- Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
- Friday, 9am to 4pm
Tel: 01234 276168 or 01234 276094,
For after hours emergencies only: 0300 300 8123
How we can help older people
We aim to provide you with services to help you live safely and independently, based on your assessment of need.
We will work with you to:
- Increase your independence
- Increase choice and control in your daily life
- Enable you to access other support services
- Improve your quality of life.
Get a needs assessment
We will assess your needs either by telephone or in person depending on your individual situation.
Following your assessment a range of services may be provided. These services may include:
- direct payment
- home care
- day care
- equipment including Telecare
- meals at home
- sheltered housing
- residential or nursing care
Some examples of when we would arrange support for you are if:
- you are unable to get out of your bed or chair or move around without help
- you have difficulty looking after yourself because you are unable to prepare meals, drinks or wash
- your main carers (relatives, friends or neighbours) are unable to support you without help
- your main carers are putting their own health and welfare at risk because of the nature of the caring tasks
- you have been subjected to physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse, or if there are good reasons to suspect that you may be at risk of such abuse.
A review of these services will be done on a regular basis by social work colleagues based in the community and adjusted according to your needs.
We work closely with other professionals such as doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, and care agencies.