Bedford Borough has a rich and diverse historic environment comprising archaeological remains, historic buildings, settlements and landscapes.
Protecting and enhancing our local heritage
Our Historic Environment Service protects and enhances the historic environment of Bedford Borough by:
- managing and maintaining the Bedford Borough Historic Environment Record
- providing archaeological advice on pre-application proposals and planning applications
- providing advice on managing change to listed buildings and conservation areas in response to pre-application enquiries, listed building consent and planning applications
- developing conservation area appraisals and management plans and delivering heritage-led regeneration schemes
- providing a countryside advice service to landowners and Natural England on the management of the rural historic environment through countryside stewardship schemes.
- developing and delivering monument management schemes
- responding to proposed changes to national and local policy and historic environment guidance