Step 1: is the site in Bedford Borough Council area?
Step 2: are the works permitted development?
Check what is permitted development on the interactive guides on the planning portal
For more information and help please also refer to the following:
Find out more about dropped kerbs.
Find out more about electric car charging points
Find out more about Householder development in conservation areas. (For more details on Heritage matters, Trees, Listed Buildings, Conservation area maps and Archaeology, see Step 3)
Permitted development rights can also be withdrawn on a property/site so this will need to be checked before starting any work, you can do this on the map search. You can get help from How to Guide 7.
Step 3: How to guides and other planning pages
Please refer to the 'How to guides' for assistance with planning matters where you can find planning application details, view documents, find use classes of buildings, conduct research and history searches from 1948 to date.
How to Guide 6 page 5 gives advice on how to amend a determined application and also contains details on discharging conditions and our policy on personal data.
Find further details about planning matters via the links on the right of this page.
Please also refer to the following:
- Listed Buildings and Conservation areas including the Conservation area maps
- Protected Trees : subject to a Tree Preservation Order or in a Conservation Area
- Heritage statements and when they are required
- Archaeology advice
- Shopfronts and advertisements in conservation areas
- For more details on Hedges please refer to the legislation and this useful guide.
Please note for a response from planning the form and the fee detailed in step 4 are required.
Step 4: submit a planning enquiry
There is no duty planning offer you can speak to over the phone.
To get a response from planning you need to complete and submit the pre-application planning advice form which must be accompanied by:
An Ordnance Survey, to scale, location plan with the site outlined in red. This must not be a screen dump or copy from any website. Any other documentation or information to be supplied is detailed on the form.
A fee is charged for this pre-application planning advice. The list of fees and exemptions is shown below. Please note N/A on this list means the option is not available.
You can pay doing one of the following:
- submit the fee online by using the e-form below
- call 01234 718068 during business hours detailed here
- send a cheque to Bedford Borough Council quoting on the back the site address or e-form number provided after you submit.
- Pre application planning advice fee list and exemptions including the archaeology charging schedule (PDF)
- Request for pre-application and other planning advice online form
- Request for pre-application advice paper copy form (PDF)
Please refer to the privacy notice on the e-form for details on personal data. You can also refer to How to Guide 6.
Minerals and waste pre-application enquiries
The minerals and waste planning service is provided by a team based at Central Bedfordshire Council. All minerals and waste related enquiries should be sent to: MWapplications@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk
Full details of the charging scheme are provided below: