Skip to main content

Do I need planning permission?

Step 1: is the site in Bedford Borough Council area?  

Check the Bedford parish map (PDF)

Step 2: are the works permitted development?

Check what is permitted development on the interactive guides on the planning portal

For more information and help please also refer to the following:

Find out more about dropped kerbs.

Find out more about electric car charging points

Find out more about Householder development in conservation areas. (For more details on Heritage matters, Trees, Listed Buildings, Conservation area maps and Archaeology, see Step 3)

Find out more about Schools, Colleges, Universities and Hospitals.

Permitted development rights can also be withdrawn on a property/site so this will need to be checked before starting any work, you can do this on the map search. You can get help from How to Guide 7.

Step 3: How to guides and other planning pages 

Please refer to the 'How to guides' for assistance with planning matters where you can find planning application details, view documents, find use classes of buildings, conduct research and history searches from 1948 to date.

How to Guide 6 page 5 gives advice on how to amend a determined application and also contains details on discharging conditions and our policy on personal data.

Find further details about planning matters via the links on the right of this page.

Please also refer to the following:

Please note for a response from planning the form and the fee detailed in step 4 are required.

Step 4: submit a planning enquiry

There is no duty planning offer you can speak to over the phone. For a response from planning please complete and submit the pre-application planning advice form which must be accompanied by:

An Ordnance Survey, to scale, location plan with the site outlined in red. This must not be a screenshot or copy from any website. Any other documentation or information to be supplied is detailed on the form.

A fee is charged for this pre-application planning advice. The list of fees and exemptions is shown below. Please note N/A on this list means the option is not available.

You can pay doing one of the following:

  • submit the fee online by using the e-form below
  • call 01234 718068 during business hours detailed here 
  • send a cheque to Bedford Borough Council quoting on the back the site address or e-form number provided after you submit.  

Application forms:

You can get pre-application and other planning advice by using the online form:

Request for pre-application and other planning advice

Alternatively, you can use the paper version:
  Charging schedules:

For details on personal data please refer to How to Guide 6. page 2 and the privacy notice on the Eform. The How to guide also explains when the PREAPP documentation will go into the public realm. 

Minerals and waste pre-application enquiries

The minerals and waste planning service is provided by a team based at Central Bedfordshire Council. All minerals and waste related enquiries should be sent to:

Full details of the charging scheme are provided below: