Step 1: Check the site is in the Bedford Borough Council area
Step 2: Are the works permitted development?
Check what is permitted development and what this means on the interactive guides on the planning portal.
See other useful guidance:
- Dropped kerbs
- Electric car charging points
- Householder development in conservation areas (PDF)
- Schools, colleges, universities and hospitals
- How to check for permitted development and checking if permitted development rights have been removed (PDF)
For legal confirmation that something is permitted development you should:
- submit a lawful development certificate proposed if the proposal has not been carried out
- submit a lawful development certificate existing if your proposal has already been carried out
The links above provide the fee details and what needs to be submitted. If you want informal advice please continue below.
Step 3: Finding planning guidance online
Our How to guides provide assistance with planning matters. For example:
- how to find use classes of buildings / land
- how to amend planning applications (Guide 6)
- discharge conditions
- how to find applications and documents
Please also see the following pages for:
- Listed buildings and conservation areas including the conservation area maps
- Protected trees: subject to a Tree Preservation Order or in a conservation area
- Heritage statements and when they are required
- Shopfronts and advertisements in conservation areas (PDF)
- Hedgerow legislation
- High hedge complaints
Step 4: submit a planning enquiry for a response from planning
For a response from planning please refer to the fees and exemptions list and complete the request for pre-application planning advice online below. The e-form will quote the relevant fee, accept payment, and you can attach relevant documentation.
You can also submit a paper form: Request for pre-application advice form (PDF)
Other payment methods:
- telephone on 01234 718068 during business hours detailed here
- cheque to Bedford Borough Council quoting on the back the site address or e-form number provided after you submit.
You must supply an Ordnance Survey, to scale, location plan with the site outlined in red. This must not be a screenshot or copy from any website. All other documentation or information to be supplied is detailed on the forms.
For details on personal data please refer to How to Guide 6. page 2 and the privacy notice on the eform. The How to guide also explains when the PREAPP documentation will go into the public realm.
Minerals and waste pre-application enquiries
The minerals and waste planning service is provided by a team based at Central Bedfordshire Council. All minerals and waste related enquiries should be sent to: MWapplications@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk
See full details of the charging scheme: