In general most building works require Building Regulation approval. This includes the erection of a new building, re-erection of an existing building, extension of a building, material alteration to a building, material change of use of a building, installation, alteration or extension of a controlled service and installation, alteration or extension of a controlled fitting.
However there are certain buildings and works where the submission of a Building Regulations application is not required. The following works may be undertaken without obtaining Building Regulations approval.
Greenhouses and agricultural buildings
- Any greenhouse or agricultural building which is not used for retailing, packaging or exhibiting.
- A building used for agriculture, or a building principally for keeping animals provided that:
- No part is used as a dwelling
- The building is at least 1.5 times its height from any building containing sleeping accommodation.
- No point in the building is less than 30m from a fire exit.
Small detached buildings, sheds and garage
- A detached building with a floor area less than 15m2 which does not contain sleeping accommodation.
- A detached single storey building with a floor area less than 30m2 which does not contain sleeping accommodation and is at least 1m from any boundary or is made from substantially non-combustible material.
A single storey ground floor extension less then 30m2 which consists of a conservatory*, porch, covered yard, covered way or carport which is open on at least two sides.
* For a conservatory to be classed as an exempt extension, it will need to be:
- Thermally separated from the rest of the building
- Have at least 50% of its walls and 75% of its roof constructed of translucent material
- Independent heating/cooling
- Glazing that satisfies the requirements of K4, K5.1, K5.2, K5.3 and K5.4 of Schedule 1 of the Building Regulation.
If the work includes any electrical installation, your proposal is not listed above or you would like further clarification then please contact us.
Contact Building Control
Tel: 01234 718081
Bedford Borough Council
Tel: 01234 718081
Please note that even if the works you are proposing are exempt from Building Regulations other approvals may be required. We recommend that you contact Development Services to ascertain if Planning Permission or Listed Building Consent is required.