Apply for building regulations approval

If you need building regulations approval, there are three types of application:

Building regulations application for building control approval with full plans

building regulations application for building control approval with full plans (Word) can be used for all works that have not already started.

Please submit the building regulations application for building control approval with full plans form together with the appropriate charge and two copies of the scaled plans and specification showing exactly how your proposal will be constructed.

We will check the plans against the standards required by the Building Regulations. If amendments are required we will request these at an early stage. If there are no amendments to be made or satisfactory amendments have been received the application will be approved.

You will pay the application fee in two instalments:

Building notice applications

A Building notice application (Word) cannot be used for non-residential buildings or where work has already started.

Please submit a Building Notice application form, a block plan and the appropriate charge. The services of a designer are not essential, although we may well request further details of your proposal.

We do not formally check or approve this type of application, so we recommend you only use this application where the works are straightforward and the builder has an in-depth knowledge of the building regulation requirements.

The total Building Notice charge has to be paid when the application is submitted and the Building Control charges for a Building Notice application are generally more expensive than a Full Plans application because Building Control Officers will generally need to spend more time on site.

Regularisation applications

Sometimes work is carried out without the benefit of approval or inspection from the Building Control team. When this happens you can apply for a Regularisation Certificate (Word).

We will need to make sure the works comply with the relevant regulations before we issue the Regularisation Certificate. It may be necessary for some work to be exposed for inspection. Where structural work has been undertaken you may need to provide calculations from a structural engineer.

The total Regularisation charge has to be paid when the application is submitted.

Further advice on the type of application needed

If you are unsure which application you need to use, please contact us.

Tel: 01234 718081

Submit your application

Email the completed application form together with the relevant plans to

If your attached files are larger than 10Mb please send them in separate emails.

You can pay using our online payment system below:

Pay for a building regulation application

Other approvals required

Your proposed works may need other approvals such as planning permission or listed building consent.