Priory Country Park is a 360 acre green space made up of lakes, meadows and woodland which is in part enclosed within a bend in the River Great Ouse. There are habitats from meadows to reed beds, quiet walks for all, fishing, boating, play areas and bird hides.
Green Flag Award
Priory Country Park is one of five Bedford Borough Council managed parks which has been awarded a Green Flag. The Green Flag Award scheme recognises quality parks and open spaces in the UK and around the world.
- Bird watching
- Car park on site
- Fishing (permit only)
- Play areas
- Water sports
- Walking trails
Fishing in Priory Country Park
Fishing at Priory Country Park is restricted. In some waters fishing is not permitted at all. Where fishing is permitted you will need a current Environment Agency rod licence.
In other areas you must also purchase a fishing permit from Bedford Borough Council.
Fishing permits are valid for one season only. The fishing season runs from 16 June to 14 March each year.
All information on where you can and cannot fish is posted outside the park's Visitors' Centre and on fishing map boards located around the Priory Country Park.
Before you can purchase our fishing permit, you will need these documents/information to hand:
- Your Environment Agency rod fishing licence number
- Debit or credit card (for online payment)
- Vehicle registration (if you bring your car on site when you fish)
Fishing permits prices 2019-20
Permits are for the whole season only. There are no day tickets available.
- Day fishing: adults £47, concessions / juniors (under 17), OAPs £19.50
- Day and night fishing: adults £73, concessions / juniors (under 17), OAPs £30.50
If you fish without a permit you will be liable for a fine.
Country park trails
- Priory Country Park guided walk leaflet red trail (PDF)
- Priory County Park guided walk leaflet blue trail (PDF)
- Priory County Park guided walk leaflet green trail (PDF)
The Cloverdale Retreat has excellent views across Priory Country Park Lake and includes a large area of elevated decking outside. The menu includes fine homemade cuisine and a range of teas, coffees, and cold drinks.
Visit the Cloverdale Retreat website.
Join the Park Warden to undertake practical conservation, habitat and maintenance tasks around the park. The volunteers meet every Monday and Thursday and one Sunday a month. For further information please contact Jon on 01234 718012 (answer phone) or email email@example.com. All sessions start at 9:30am from the visitors centre and finish at 3pm.
- Race for Life - 22 and 23 June 2019.
- Bedford Half Marathon - 30 August to 1 September.
- Guided bird walks
Book an event in this park
Funeral ash scatteringFurther information about ash scattering in priory park.
Warden's office: 01234 718012 (answer phone)