The following public toilets are now open:
- Allhallows by the bus station, Greenhill Street (Monday – Sunday 9-5pm)
- Priory Country Park (Monday – Sunday)
- Harrold Odell Country Park (Monday – Sunday)
- Changing Places toilet for disabled people at River Street multi-storey car park (Monday – Saturday)
- Russell Park (Monday – Sunday)
- Mowsbury Park (Monday – Sunday)
- Mayes yard in Bedford town centre (Monday – Saturday)
- Lurke Street (Monday – Saturday)
To ensure our public toilets are COVID-safe they will all have an enhanced cleaning routine as well as hand sanitisers in place, however this has meant they are open on reduced hours.
All these facilities are open 10am to 5pm. (Apart from Allhallows, see above)
(St Pauls toilets remain closed at this time)
We have in addition the 24 hours Automatic Public convenience at Addison Howard Park and Bedford Park, with an entry cost of 20 pence.
There will also be signage to remind people of the importance of good hygiene and social distancing.
Using public toilets during the coronavirus outbreak
Please ensure you read and understand these guidelines to help us keep everyone safe:
- Avoid using the public toilet where possible.
- Use at your own risk.
- These facilities are cleaned/inspected regularly. It is still essential that you follow the guidance given to keep yourself and others safe.
- The toilets will be closed for a short period of time during cleaning.
- You must maintain social distancing and give people their space when entering, waiting or leaving public toilets.
- If on entry you are unable to maintain social distancing, please wait outside the toilet facility, keeping apart from others and avoid blocking the entrance.
- If there is a designated waiting area at the location then no more than 2 people should be in the waiting area at one time.
- Avoid touching surfaces where possible and do not touch your face.
- Before leaving the facility wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and dry thoroughly.
- Please use and leave the facility as quickly as possible.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided within the toilet block.
- Please respect our staff.
Report a problem with public toilets
Please tell us about problems such as a broken sink or anti social behaviour.
Community toilet scheme
You can find out more about joining the community toilet scheme here.
Changing Places disabled persons' toilet
The River Street multi-storey car park in Bedford town centre has a Changing Places disabled persons' toilet on the first floor.
The toilet is open Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm.
Changing Places toilets are designed to meet the needs of all people with a disability by providing more space and equipment such as a height-adjustable, adult-sized changing bench and a hoist.
RADAR toilet keys
A RADAR Key opens over 9,000 locked public disabled toilets, enabling people with a disability to used locked toilets facilities across the UK.
Anyone who considers themselves to have a disability is eligible for a RADAR Key.
To apply please download a RADAR toilet key application form (PDF) and either return it to us by post or in person.
Bedford Borough Council
Customer Service Centre
2 Horne Lane
RADAR Key cost
- New RADAR key: £2.50
- Replacement key: £6
Bedford Borough Council only accepts card payment for RADAR keys.