Report an abandoned vehicle
Abandoning a vehicle is criminal offence which carries a maximum fine of £2,500 or three months imprisonment.
Please tell us if you see an abandoned vehicle. We will investigate and if appropriate arrange for its removal.
- When you report a vehicle via the online form, you can attach a photograph to your report. This is useful if you do not have all the desired information required. If you have any questions telephone the Environmental Services helpdesk on 01234 718060.
- You can also use our mobile app. Report any environmental offences by using Clean Streets Bedford.
A vehicle removed due to being abandoned will, depending on its value, either be disposed of or stored.
A Notice will either be sent to the registered keeper and/or attached to the vehicle stating the Notice period.
If a vehicle is stored it will be held for 7 days; if it is not claimed within that time, it will be disposed of.
Reclaim an abandoned vehicle
What to do if you believe your vehicle has been removed by the council as an abandoned vehicle.
If you are the registered keeper, we will write to inform you that your vehicle has been impounded. You then have 7 days in which to recover it.
Call 01234 718177 as soon as possible and make sure you have full details of the vehicle available.
In order to recover the vehicle you will need the following:
- registered keeper - the registration document (V5 log book) showing you are the registered keeper
- if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle or have purchased it recently, you may need to contact a solicitor and obtain a sworn affidavit before you can recover the vehicle.
- a valid form of identification ie a passport, driving licence, rent book or bank statement