In Bedford Borough we offer two sites for burial and cremation. Norse Road, and Foster Hill Cemetery. The information below will give you further information about both sites and fees.
All Council buildings/premises in the Borough of Bedford require visiting members of the public to wear face coverings in line with Government guidance concerning mandatory face coverings in some enclosed public spaces, e.g. shops, supermarkets, public transport and hospitals, from 24 July (taking account of defined exceptions).
This decision was taken in order to offer clarity for members of the public in wearing coverings between different types of premises, to offer some additional protection to groups of individuals who would not normally meet in public places/premises, and to offer some additional protection to staff members working in public facing buildings/settings.
This measure does not replace social distancing and other control measures which are still required and are in place in all buildings/settings where employees and customers come into contact.
In line with the Government’s guidance to slow the spread of coronavirus, funeral attendance is restricted to immediate family only. This means spouse/partner, parents/carers, siblings, children and their partners.
We respectfully ask you to observe the following:
- family groups that live together can sit or stand together at the service
- if you don’t live together, you must make space to meet the social distancing guidelines
- the chapel attendant or funeral director are on hand to make sure this is followed and to keep everyone safe
- family members are currently not able to take part in the lowering or placing soil on the coffin
We are always ready to give conducted tours of the Crematorium and Cemetery. These tours can be for organisations or individuals.
Call the cemetery office on (01234) 718150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Memorial inspection programme
This programme identifies memorials in need of repair. It is part of our duty to ensure a safe environment for staff and visitors. The memorial inspection programme covers:
- all headstones at Foster Hill Road and Norse Road Cemeteries
- closed graveyards we are responsible for
Funeral ash scattering
Reporting issues in our closed cemeteries
We inspect all memorials in our closed cemeteries to make sure they are safe and free of vandalism. Call 01234 718150 or email email@example.com if you want to:
- raise any concerns
- report vandalism
- have questions regarding our closed cemeteries across Bedford Borough