Skip to main content

Council Tax Support

We want to help local residents who are struggling financially because of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Residents on the lowest income already do not pay any Council Tax due to our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

The government has announced a COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund, and this means:

  • if you already receive some Council Tax Support but still have part of the bill to pay, you will now get a bigger reduction – and in some cases will not have to pay any Council Tax at all. This discount will be automatically applied to your Council Tax bill if you are eligible, and we will send you an updated bill.
  • if your circumstances have changed and you think you are now eligible for Council Tax Support, you can make a claim online via My Benefits.
  • if you are having immediate difficulty paying your Council Tax bill, please get in touch with our trained advisors who will be able to help. Telephone us on 01234 718097 or email

Please contact us on 01234 718097 or by emailing if you are in immediate financial crisis. We already have hardship support and crisis grants in place and want to help.

At this crucial time it’s very important that those who can pay their Council Tax continue to pay as normal to support the important services in our community. Council services are under huge pressure, working to deliver care for the vulnerable and elderly, and keeping vital day-to-day operations running.

Find out more about Council Tax Support (sometimes called Council Tax Reduction) and how this could affect you.

Who can get Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support can only be awarded where the Council Tax payer makes an application and qualifies for a discount. Anyone who has to pay Council Tax can apply for Council Tax Support. The amount of help you can get depends on your income, capital and family makeup.

How much Council Tax you will pay

Bedford Borough Council's local scheme continues to give up to 100% support with the cost of Council Tax to those households on the lowest income. When you apply for Council Tax Support, we will work out how much help you are entitled to and send you a new bill if you qualify for help. Once you receive Council Tax Support you will be sent a bill each year in March which will tell you how much Council Tax you have to pay.

If you move during the year you will receive a new bill shortly after you have advised us of your change of address.

If your circumstances change

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you must tell us if your circumstances change as it could affect your entitlement.

You must tell the Council straight away if your circumstances change. For example if you move, someone leaves or joins your household or your income or savings change. If you don't tell us about a change and continue to receive a discount you are not entitled to, you could be asked to pay a penalty. For serious offences you could be taken to court and charged with fraud.

How to pay

The easiest way to pay you Council Tax is to set up a direct debit. For details visit our How to pay your Council Tax bill page.

Alternatively you can use our online facility to pay your Council Tax. 

Pay your Council Tax online

If you think the support you are getting is wrong

If you think the calculation is wrong, you can ask us to check it again. If you still disagree, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal who will consider your appeal.

You cannot appeal to the Valuation Tribunal on the grounds that you disagree with our scheme.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax

If you are worried about not being able to pay, please contact us as soon as possible.