Universal Credit

You might be able to get Universal Credit if you’re not working or you’re on a low income. Most people will be moved on to Universal Credit.

It is paid by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), not the council, and replaces these existing benefits and credits into a single monthly payment:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income-based Employment Support Allowances
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Help to claim Universal Credit

Citizens Advice provides end-to-end support to help people with making a new Universal Credit claim and continuous support throughout.

You can use the Universal Credit guide, or for face-to-face support you can find them at St Paul's Square, Bedford.

How to provide evidence of a Universal Credit award

If you are applying for additional benefits such as Discretionary Housing Payment or Council Tax Support you may be asked to provide evidence of a UC award.

Follow these steps

  1. Log into your Universal Credit account
  2. On the ‘Home’ screen select the ‘Payments’ option.
  3. If you have had Universal Credit for more than one Assessment Period (multiple months) select the most recent payment. If it is your first payment the most recent payment should already be on display at this point.
  4. If you are using a smartphone or tablet take screenshots of the entire page (this may be multiple pictures).
  5. If you are using a laptop or computer you can select the ‘Print statement’ option and then change the printer selection to ‘Save as PDF’.