If you who have a physical disability and over the age of 18 years, we may be able to help you live safely and independently.
When you contact us to ask for help we will ask you a series of questions. The answers to these questions will help us to decide what we can do to help you. This is known as an assessment. Sometimes we assess your needs by telephone and sometimes in person by visiting you. It depends on your individual situation.
You can contact us for enquiries and referrals during the working day Monday to Friday.
We will work with you to:
- increase your independence
- increase choice and control in your daily life
- enable you to access other support services
- improve your quality of life
Following your assessment a range of services may be provided. These services may include:
- a Direct Payment
- home care
- day care
- equipment including Telecare
- meals at home
- residential or nursing care
We also support referrals for sheltered housing.
Some examples of when we would arrange support for you are if:
- you are unable to get out of your bed or chair or move around without help
- you find it difficult to look after yourself because you are unable to prepare meals and drinks or wash themselves properly
- your main carers (relatives, friends or neighbours) are unable to support you without help
- your main carers are putting their own health and welfare at risk because of the nature of the caring tasks
- you have been subjected to physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse, or if there are good reasons to suspect that you may be at risk of such abuse.
The services we provide will be reviewed on a regular basis by social work colleagues based in the community and adjusted according to your needs.
We work closely with doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, care agencies and other specialist services.
Contact the Physical Disabilities Team
Bedford Borough Physical Disabilities Social Work Team
Bedford Borough Council
Bedford MK42 9AP
Tel: 01234 228328