Skip to main content

Supporting People is about good quality housing-related support to vulnerable people, to help them live as independently as possible within their community.

Housing-related support is help that you may need to set up or maintain your own home.

We help the following:

  • homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • offenders or those at risk of offending
  • teenage parents
  • young people who are vulnerable
  • drug and alcohol problems
  • people suffering from or fleeing domestic violence
  • older people
  • people with physical and sensory disabilities
  • people with learning difficulties
  • people with mental health problems
  • travellers and gypsies
  • refugees and asylum seekers

This might include:

  • help to claim benefits, complete forms or manage debts
  • help to develop your domestic skills like budgeting and cooking
  • help to move into independent accommodation or to somewhere with less support
  • the services of a sheltered housing warden or scheme manager
  • help to identify and contact other people, groups or organisations you may need assistance from. For example, housing departments, social services, colleges and training centres, housing associations, specialist advice agencies

Supporting People Team
Bedford Borough Council
Borough Hall
Cauldwell Street
MK42 9AP

Tel: 01234 276195 or 01234 228439
Fax: 01234 228128


For CAPITA related queries, please call: 01234 276195 or 01234 276064.

Making a referral

If you would like to be referred or to refer a client / friend / relative to a Supporting People commissioned service, please access our CAPITA referral e-form. This will allow you to securely fill in the form and submit it electronically directly to us.

If for any reason you cannot access the CAPITA referral e-form you can click on the following link to access our fillable PDF referral form*. Please note this form can only be used to refer clients who are eligible for Bedford Borough Council Supporting People Support, (please see the copy of the Supporting People – A Short Guide leaflet at the end of the referral form for more information on this).

*The form can be completed online and emailed to: (Please read the full instructions of how to make and return a referral on the first page of the form, ensuring all sections are completed. We ask that you do not use this email address for anything other than a completed referral request as it will not be actioned or replied to).

*If you are returning this form by email, please ensure that it is sent via a secure email system. If you don’t have access to a secure email system and are unable to do this, please print the form and return it by post to the following address, marked private and confidential:

Supporting People referrals
c/o Mrs Lori Dyke
Bedford Borough Council
Borough Hall
Cauldwell Street
MK42 9AP

If you do not have a print facility, please contact a member of the Supporting People Team to request a hard copy to be sent to you.

Bedford Supporting People funds services for a range of different people, please click on this link for more information on who Supporting People help.

Please click on this link for more information on how Supporting People works.

Please click on this link for more information on providers and agents.

If you need this information in Braille or large print, on audio-cassette or in a language other than English (including British Sign Language), please contact the Supporting People Team

or further information on Domestic Violence please click on the following links:

How does Supporting People work?

Information for Service Providers and Partners

If you need this information in Braille or large print, on audio-cassette or in a language other than English (including British Sign Language), please contact the Supporting People Team