Skip to main content

Transfer to middle school

In 2019 there will only be two lower schools remaining in Bedford Borough as most lower schools will have converted to primary schools. Parents of children attending the two remaining lower schools will receive a Transfer to Middle School Information Sheet 2020 at the start of Year 4, which explains how to apply for a school place.

If your child is attending a local authority lower school that will not be converting to a primary school and is due to transfer to middle school in September 2020, you will receive an information sheet from your child's current school during the Autumn term 2019.

Make sure you read the School transfer booklet (PDF) to find out what you need to do.

Apply online

We strongly recommend you apply for a school place using the online facility, which will be available to you at the start of the admissions process.

If you are unable to access the online system you can download the transfer to middle school application form (PDF).

If you live in Bedford Borough you must apply through us. If we're not your council, you can find out who is on GOV.UK. 

Open days / evenings

Details can be found in the School transfer booklet (PDF)

Closing dates for applications

15 January 2020. 

Children attending a lower school will also be able to apply for a Year 5 place at a primary school in accordance with the provisions of this scheme for In Year admissions.

National offer day - 16 April 2020 

If you have applied online, you will receive an email to let you know the outcome of your application. In addition, as the results will be posted to the online system overnight, you can log into your account to access the result of your application. If you have not applied online, we will post a letter to you on this day.

Those of you who have not been offered a place at your first preference school will also be sent a copy of this information sheet which provides you with information about the number of applications and places offered at each school, and how to lodge an appeal.

On this page