Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
Every Local Authority (LA) is required by law to have a SACRE.
Its origins go back to the Education Act of 1944, but the Education Reform Act 1988 and the Education Act 1966 strengthened its place in an LA.
The responsibilities of SACRE are:
- to provide advice to the LA on all aspects of its provision for RE in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided Schools)
- to decide whether the LA's Agreed Syllabus for RE needs to be reviewed and to require the LEA does so
- to provide advice to the LA on Collective Worship in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided or Voluntary Controlled Schools)
- to consider any requests from Head teachers to hold Collective Worship that is not of a broadly Christian character
- to offer advice particularly on methods of teaching, the choice of resources and the provision of training for teachers
The aims of religious education
(sub section one)
Religious education in schools celebrates the diversity of religious and human experience. It encourages pupils to grow with the knowledge, skills, sensitivity and understanding to develop as confident and productive members of their local multi-faith community and the world.
Consequently RE in our schools should help pupils and students to:
- acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions represented in Great Britain
- develop an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities, societies and cultures
- develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgement about religious and moral issues, with reference to the teachings of the principal religions represented in Great Britain
- enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- develop a positive attitude towards other people respecting their right to hold different beliefs from their own, and towards living in a society of diverse religions
Membership of SACRE
Clerk to the Bedford Borough SACRE
Telephone: 01234 228903
Adviser to the SACRE
Telephone: 01234 276559