Registering as a childminder

If you would like to have a rewarding career, be your own boss, run your business from home and make a real difference to children's lives, then being a registered childminder might be just the job for you.

 As a registered childminder you will:

  • offer the children you care for a happy and inspirational environment
  • see the children that you care for grow and develop
  • work in your home, choosing the hours you work and the services you provide.
  • have a career where no two days are the same
  • care for your own children at the same time if you have a family
  • meet other childminders in your area and get to know your local community
  • opportunity to work towards QCF Level 3 Diploma

 You will need the following qualities:

  • an understanding of how children learn and develop or a desire to learn
  • commitment to professional development by attending on-going training
  • ability to work in partnership with parents/carers and other professional agencies
  • ability to run your own business by keeping good records to ensure its viability

Check if there is a market for childminders in your area

You will need to do your own market research to see whether there is a need for childminders in your area.

Some parts of Bedford Borough are already served by established childminders, whereas some areas have very few registered providers.

Visit our Family Information Service (FIS) to see if there is a need for childminders in your area. 

Before you can register as a childminder

Childminders in England and Wales need to complete training recognised by their local authority before they register with Ofsted. The training should include a local authority approved pre-registration course, and 12-hour paediatric first-aid training. 

Enhanced DBS check

 All childminders and anyone living in their house over the age of 16 need to have an enhanced DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service) before becoming a childminder. Previous convictions that may stop you being a childminder include assault charges, GBH or drug-related crimes or offences against children. 

Being self employed

The Jobs Hub can provide workshops and support for people exploring setting up their own business.

BTAC offers training advice and courses for those working in the childcare profession or wanting a career in childcare.

Visit our childminder training page for information about how to become a home-based child carer.