Skip to main content

Dropped kerbs (vehicular crossovers)

Planning permission is sometimes required to lower or 'drop' a kerb to create a vehicular access 'crossover' across a verge, footway or pavement.

Under Part 2, Class B of the General Permitted Development Order, planning permission is only required if the road is a classified road (PDF) or a trunk road.

To check permitted development or whether you need planning permission, please refer to the Classified Road List (PDF) and/or the planning enquiries webpage. 

Please note: there is a fee for a written response from Planning.

All new or altered dropped kerbs verge/footway crossovers must be approved by the Highway Authority and the work undertaken by them or their approved contractor, even if planning permission has been granted.  This is covered by section 184 of the Highways Act 1980.

If you propose a new or altered vehicular access as part of a planning application and you get planning permission you must check the list of conditions and informative notes at the end of the Decision Notice.  This will tell you if you need to submit more (or revised details) for the 'access junction with the highway' (verge/footway crossover).  It will also explain who to contact and when in order to get plans approved and the crossover built.

Related links