Skip to main content

Private Hire Operator licensing fees

As a result of changes to the law made by the Government in the Immigration Act 2016, from 1 December 2016 anyone applying for grant or renewal of a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's licences or Private Hire Operator Licence must have the right to work in the UK, and the Council must check that this applies to every applicant before issuing or renewing a licence.

Pay for private hire operators licences

This applies to all licence holders regardless of where they were born, how long they have lived in the UK and, if they already hold a licence, how long they have held it for.

The application will only be able to progress if the applicant provides the correct original documentation (as specified by the Home Office) showing a right to work in the UK. View the Home Office Right to Work Documentation List (PDF).


New Private Hire Operators Licence £2510.00 (5 years) From April 2017
New Private Hire Operators Licence  £502.00 (12 months) From April 2017
Renewal Private Hire Operators Licence £2050.00 (5 years) From April 2017
Renewal Private Hire Operators Licence £410.00 (12 months) From April 2017
Change of Trading Address £500.00 From April 2017
Change of Name £37.00 From April 2017

Apply online

The Authority's online form service is currently unavailable - please download and submit forms by email. 

However the original copies of the Right to Work Documentation must be submitted at Customer Services in Horne Lane for verification by council staff. An application cannot be processed until the original Right to Work Documentation has been verified. 

Downloadable documentation

To download our Private Hire Operator Application, Guidance Notes and register please click below:

GDPR and Privacy Statements

View the full Privacy Statement for Private Hire Operator Licences 

Private Hire Operator licence in more detail

Licence Summary

Anyone who, in the course of business, makes provision for the invitation or acceptance of bookings for a private hire vehicle must be licensed as a Private Hire Operate by the local Council (as Licensing Authority)

Eligibility Criteria

The Authority must be satisfied that the applicant is fit and proper to hold such a Licence.

Regulation Summary

Summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

The applicant will complete an application and submit this to the Authority with the required fee. The Authority will also obtain details of the information held on the applicant by the DVLA. Applicants are also required to submit a Basic Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure they have obtained within the 3 month period immediately prior to submitting the application.  The Authority will then place a public notice in a local newspaper inviting representations on the application. 

Any driving licence endorsements and criminal records recorded will be assessed against the Authority’s Criminal Records Policies to determine whether the applicant would normally be refused a Licence. 

Any other information that comes to light which brings the character of the applicant/Licensee into question will be considered. Where the applicant has not been resident in the UK for the five years immediately prior to the application, a certificate will be requested from the country they were resident in during that period as to any criminal records against them.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us -  you can use the contact details below. The target completion period for processing these applications is 60 working days.

Apply online (You will need Version 9 (or higher) of Adobe Reader)

This facility is not currently available.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance. Any Licence Holder who is aggrieved by a condition attached to their Licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should contact the Licensing Authority or if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress


Trade Associations

Private Hire and Taxi Monthly

Contact the Licensing team


Tel. 01234 276934

Fax: 01234 718392

Bedford Borough Council
Licensing Service
Cauldwell Street
Bedford MK42 9AP

On this page