Any person who plans to take pre-bookings for the carriage of passengers in licensed private hire vehicles, or who wants to be self employed driving a private hire vehicle, must first obtain a private hire operator’s licence from the local authority. If an employer holds a private hire operator’s licence this allows employees to drive private hire vehicles without obtaining their own private hire operator’s licence.
Before you apply for an operator licence
Download and read carefully the following documents. These documents are also available from the Customer Service Centre.
- Private Hire Operator guidance notes and application form
- Private Hire Operator conditions
- Conviction and Character Policy for Hackney Carriage, Private Hire Drivers and Operators
- Public Register of Private Hire Operators (June 2019)
When you have read the guidance notes and believe that you will be able to meet the criteria for a private hire operator, you can proceed. If having read the documents you need further information please email your enquiry to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
- Complete the application form and DVLA mandate. Provide details of all applicants where applicable.
- Renewal applications must include booking records as stated in the guidance.
- Take the application form, together with the original supporting documents and the applicable fee to the Customer Service Centre.
Original right to work documentation and DBS certificate must be submitted at the Customer Service Centre for verification by a customer adviser. An application cannot be processed until the original Right to Work Documentation has been verified.
- New Private Hire Operators Licence (5 years) - £2510 from April 2017
- New Private Hire Operators Licence (12 months) - £502 from April 2017
- Renewal Private Hire Operators Licence (5 years) - £2050 from April 2017
- Renewal Private Hire Operators Licence (12 months) - £410 from April 2017
- Change of Trading Address - £500 from April 2017
- Change of Name - £37 from April 2017
Pay for a licence
GDPR and Privacy Statements
Contact the Licensing team