Skip to main content

Client transport authorisation

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are prioritising renewal applications for existing Client Transport authorisations.   

Licensees who hold a current authorisation may, at present, request an extension by e-mailing stating name and badge number and the request will be considered for a temporary extension. Please note that the request must be received before the expiry of the licence.

Where licensees are continuing to work, this should be in line with the Government guidance which may be subject to change - See GOV.UK for further information. 

The English and Competency test has been temporarily suspended. New applicants may still choose to submit an application or they can wait until these restrictions are lifted. 

Anyone applying for grant or renewal of a Client Transport Authorisation must have the right to work in the UK. The Council must check that this applies to every applicant before issuing or renewing a licence. Please refer to the full list of Home Office acceptable documents.

Before you apply 

If you want to be a Passenger Assistant, PCV Driver, Section 19 Driver, or you hold a Private Hire Driver Badge issued by another authority and wish to undertake Client Transport contracts in the Borough of Bedford you will need to apply for a Client Transport Authorisation. Please download and read the following documents carefully before you make your application. These are also available at our Customer Service Centre.

A Client Transport Authorisation is only available for employees of Operators included on the current Passenger Transport Services Framework

From 1 April 2019 the fee for this application is £85, payable by card at the point of application. If your application is refused at any stage of the assessment process you will not be eligible for any refund.

Renewal applications must be made at least 6 weeks prior to the expiry of your existing authorisation.

Pay for Client Transport Authorisation

Pay for Client Transport Authorisation


Authorisations are issued for a 3 year term, or to the first expiry date of any supporting documentation, whichever occurs soonest. If an authorisation expires prior to the 3 year term you may complete an application for a Mid Term Extension application.

PATS providers

For details of PATS providers in your area you should contact the Community Transport Association UK by emailing:

GDPR and Privacy Statements

View the full privacy statement for Client Transport Authorisations

Contact the licensing team

If you have queries on the processing of applications please contact:

For queries in relation to Client Transport please contact:

On this page