Skip to main content

Social housing

We allocate social housing to people with the most urgent housing need. For example, priority is given to:

  • those faced with an emergency
  • people with a severe disability or medical need
  • those who are homeless

Read how we allocate social housing as set out in Bedford Borough's allocation scheme (PDF).

Social housing and the housing register

Please be aware the demand for affordable social housing in Bedford Borough is very high and there is a limited supply.

Social housing is not always the right option for everyone. We recommend you talk to our Housing Assessment and Advice team before you apply.

To find out more:

Housing associations

Housing associations have properties in Bedford Borough that may not be advertised on the housing register and are allocated via their own waiting lists. To find out more:

Housing options for older people

You may want to consider home and housing options for older people.

Alternatively, get in contact with the following housing associations that provide housing in Bedford Borough for persons aged over 55, including warden controlled and sheltered schemes: