Skip to main content

Noise nuisance

Before you report a noise nuisance

For a noise or other nuisance to be determined as a statutory nuisance, it must unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises.

Report noise nuisance

Before you contact us it is better to talk to the person responsible for the noise nuisance, if you feel it's appropriate to do so. Explain that the noise is disturbing you and the impact this is having on your life eg, you are losing sleep.

If you live in rented property you could discuss the problem with your landlord. They may be prepared to take action if serious disturbance is being caused.

If this doesn’t work, you can contact us for help by using the online form:

Report a noise nuisance

Excessive noise arising from residents and businesses can have a negative effect on our quality of life.

We can sometimes get involved if there is no other way to resolve a noise nuisance issue.

What you can't report

However, it is unlikely for us to get involved if the noise is caused by:

  • a one off party
  • neighbours arguing
  • lawnmowers used during the day
  • people walking on stairs
  • babies crying

We also have no control over:

  • traffic
  • loud people in the street
  • aircraft or train noises