Skip to main content

Fixed Penalty Notices

Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) are issued by our Enforcement Officers for littering, fly-tipping, spitting, urinating, cycling in a restricted area and dog control order offences. See our full list of offences and penalties and FPNs explained for more details.

Our Enforcement Officers are employed either directly by us or by our contractor District Enforcement. Officers from District Enforcement wear a blue uniform with both the Council and District Enforcement logos, they also wear body worn CCTV cameras and carry photo ID.

Pay a Fixed Penalty Notice 

Our Enforcement Officers do not take payments. The FPNs they issue will tell you how much you have to pay, the payment due date, and if an early payment discount applies. 

You cannot pay by cheque or by instalments.

FPNs issued by Bedford Borough Council (6 digit reference number)

Pay Fixed Penalty Notice  

By phone: 01234 718060.

To pay by cash please call 01234 718060 for further information.

For FPNs issued by the Council's street enforcement contractor District Enforcement (9 digit reference number)

Pay online at

Or by automated phone line: 0203 131 3801 / 0151 647 0387

If you don't pay a Fixed Penalty Notice

If you refuse to pay the FPN, or choose to have the case heard at the Magistrates' Court (as is your right), you could receive a fine greater than the fixed penalty if convicted.

Disputing a Fixed Penalty Notice

You can query a FPN in the form of a 'representation'.

Representations must be made in writing and show the FPN was not issued correctly by law – for example, by proving it was issued to the wrong person.

Representations are not considered on the basis that you didn't know the law, you didn't know the law was being enforced or it was the first time you committed the offence.

To make representation for FPNs issued by District Enforcement (9 digit reference number) visit: or by phone: 0151 647 0387 or email

To make representation for FPNs issued by Bedford Borough Council (6 digit reference number), email

Or by post:      

Bedford Borough Council
Room 401
Borough Hall
Cauldwell Street
MK42 9AP

You can make a complaint about the behaviour of the Enforcement Officer, however this will be dealt with as an internal complaint and the FPN will still have to be paid if issued correctly by law.

To complain write to the address above or email 

Can I appeal my FPN?

If you have received an FPN your only right of appeal if in a court. If you don't agree you committed the offence, the matter will be dealt with as a prosecution in court. It will be up to the court, on receiving evidence, to decide whether an offence was committed and if a penalty should be imposed.

Fixed Penalty Notices – Covid-19

If you have received a Fixed Penalty Notice issued by Bedford Borough Council, in relation to Coronavirus and wish to challenge the Notice on the basis that it should not have been served, you will need to provide a written submission clearly detailing the reasons for challenging the Notice. This may include for example that the notice was issued to the wrong person.

Challenges should be received within 10 days of the date of the Notice, and can be submitted by emailing . In addition to providing clear details as to why you believe the Notice should not have been served you will also need to include the name of your business, and the reference number of the Notice, and state that you are challenging the notice.

Written challenges will be considered and responded to within 7 working days informing of the outcome.

It should be noted that where challenges are submitted there is no delay to the requirement for payment to be made within 28 days of the date of the notice. Where challenges are upheld you will be notified in writing, with confirmation that no further action will be taken.

Where a challenge relates to a Fixed Penalty Notice for a first offence, which can be reduced from £1,000 to £500 if paid within 14 days, the time scales will not be suspended while the challenge is considered. Therefore if the findings are that the challenge is not upheld, and more than 14 days have past, the full amount of the fixed penalty will need to be made, as set out above.  The fixed penalty notice will state clearly if the penalty can be reduced for early payment.

Where a challenge is not upheld payment of the Fixed Penalty Notice can still be made within 28 days of the date of the notice, which will result in no further action being taken for the offence.

Where a challenge is not upheld, and payment in full is not made, the case will be progressed to be heard in a Magistrates court to determine whether an offence has been committed. Where magistrates find that an offence has been committed it may result in a larger fine than that contained within the Fixed Penalty Notice with magistrates able to impose potentially unlimited fines.

Further guidance relating to business restrictions can be found here and includes information on compliance and enforcement.

Should you require any further assistance in relation to the Fixed Penalty Notice, please email: