Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) helps to reduce crime, nuisance and anti-social behaviour as well as assisting in securing arrests and prosecutions.
Fixed cameras are located in town centres, some villages and in or around shopping centres and retail areas.
We also operate a number of deployable (mobile) cameras which can be placed in a hotspot area for short periods.
Deployable cameras are used based upon information provided by partners. We notify local residents by letter of the deployment of a mobile camera.
CCTV control room
We record images from a control room in Bedford town centre. Cameras record 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Images are routinely stored for one calendar month.
The CCTV control room is a restricted area and there has no public access
CCTV Code of Practice
CCTV surveillance is regulated by the following Government acts or bodies:
- The Data Protection Act 2018
- Human Rights Act
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
- Freedom of Information Act
- Security Camera Commissioners Office
We position CCTV cameras to respect the privacy of the public and residential properties. They will not overlook areas where privacy is expected without authority.
We display signs where cameras are in operation.
Bedford Borough Council CCTV Service is not responsible for the following camera systems:
- Police Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR)
- Council car park ANPR
- GATSO traffic enforcement or average speed cameras
- Any motorway or main highway cameras outside of the town centre
Releasing CCTV images
You have the right to request closed circuit television (CCTV) footage of yourself.
If your enquiry is in connection with a vehicle collision, the enquiry should be made by your insurance company
To submit a request for CCTV footage from a camera managed by Bedford Borough Council complete the Subject Access Form and include the following information
- Date, Time and location of incident
- Details of the incident for example vehicle make model and registration
NSI conformance documents and reports
- CCTV asset camera list November 2021
- Self assessment toolkit
- Bedford Borough CCTV camera mapping
- Data protection impact statement November 2021
- Annual Report 2019-2020
- Annual Report 2020-2021
- Key Performance Indicators 2019-2020
- Key Performance Indicators 2020-2021
- Privacy notice
Complaints and feedback
If you would like to provide feedback or make a complaint about how your request or enquiry relating to CCTV, has been handled, please visit our complaints and feedback page.