Get free, impartial advice on equipment, aids, devices and technology that can help day-to-day living easier and make you more independent.
Our professional occupational therapists offer you a free service where we show you how the equipment can work in your home.
Simple, low-cost items can make a big difference to your every day life
You can see how they work and get advice on items like:
- key openers
- bed sticks
- kettle tippers
- jar openers
- dressing aids
- bathing equipment
If your needs are more complex, we can recommend where to get equipment such as:
- stair lifts
- ceiling track hoist
Demonstration area located inside the Centre for Independent Living
Enter through the gate between 19 and 21 Gadsby Street.
Centre for Independent Living
Bedford Borough Council
21-23 Gadsby Street
Bedford MK40 3HP (opens in Google Maps)
- Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - 10am to 3pm. Call 01234 276102 for an appointment, and we will make sure someone is available to help you.
- Wed - 11am to 3pm. Drop in during this time. No appointment is necessary.
Occupational therapy services
We aim to provide you with an easily accessible specialist equipment advice service to enable you to live as independently as possible within your own home.
We will work with you to:
- improve your quality of life
- increase your safety and independence
- enable you to access other support services
- increase your choice and control
A member of the Occupational Therapy Team will be able to:
- discuss the issues that you may be experiencing within your own home
- demonstrate equipment that may be available to assist you
- signpost you to other support services
- provide guidance or advice on how you can adapt your lifestyle to make your life easier
- provide information about voluntary agencies that may be able to provide you or your carer with support.
Where appropriate we can arrange for a further assessment in your own home to provide more specialist guidance or advice.
There is no charge for the advice or guidance. If we signpost you to other services, we will be able to provide information on any potential costs that may occur.
We can also provide guidance and advice about where you may be able to apply for benefits that you may be entitled to receive.