Emotional wellbeing

Mental health services are free on the NHS, but in some cases you'll need a referral from your GP to access them. 

Get help in a crisis or an emergency

Call 999 for urgent assistance.

If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency call 111.

If you are already known to a mental health service, and feel you are becoming unwell, contact the named person who is responsible for your care or call the service responsible for your care. If you need to contact a health professional out of office hours, you can call 01234 315691.

Bereavement support during COVID-19 pandemic

Bereavement, grief and loss can cause many different symptoms and they affect people in different ways. It is a difficult experience in any situation and the Coronavirus pandemic means it is taking place under very challenging circumstances. Because of this, it is really important that people bereaved by any cause at this time are cared for and receive support.

We know that early self-care, and care from others, can mean that it is easier, over time, to make a recovery, with good mental health. Read more about the support available in our Bereavement Support Information leaflet. (PDF)

Mental health services for Bedford Borough residents

Bedford Borough residents can get a range of mental health services through the Bedfordshire Mental Health and Wellbeing Service, including:

  • Improving Access to Psychological Services (IAPT)
  • adult, older adult mental health and learning disability services
  • adult rehabilitation and recovery services
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Bedford Borough also have a range of resources available from its Mental Health Hub pages.  

The NHS has 5 Ways to Wellbeing.

Mind BLMK works from Bedford Wellbeing Centre, at 3, Woburn Road in Bedford, but supports people across the whole borough.

Children and young people's mental health support

Children and young people up to the age of 18 experiencing moderate to severe mental health problems can get an assessment, support and treatment through the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).

Children and young people, as well as their families, who need therapeutic support, can get help from CHUMS

Need to talk? Get free, safe and anonymous online support at Kooth.