Practitioner role in safeguarding children

We have a range of pages for practitioners working with children and young people whether in a paid or unpaid role. You can view our practitioner pages for more information on particular subject areas here.

Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and in particular protecting them from significant harm, depends on effective joint working between agencies and practitioners that have different roles and expertise.

Individual children, especially some of the most vulnerable children and those at greatest risk of suffering harm and social exclusion, will need co-ordinated help from health, education, early years, children’s social care, the voluntary sector and other agencies, including youth justice services.

Role of practitioners and volunteers in safeguarding children

All practitioners/volunteers should:

  • be alert to potential signs of abuse or neglect
  • be alert to the risks of harm that individual abusers, or potential abusers, may pose to children particularly within their organisation or group setting
  • prioritise direct communication and positive and respectful; relationships with children, ensuring the child’s wishes and feelings underpin assessments and any safeguarding activities
  • share and help to analyse information so that an assessment can be made of whether the child is suffering or is likely to suffer harm, their needs and circumstances
  • contribute to whatever actions are needed to safeguard and promote the child’s welfare; take part in regularly reviewing the outcomes for the child against specific plans
  • work co-operatively with parents, unless this is inconsistent with ensuring the child’s safety

See Pan Bedfordshire Inter-agency Children Protection for more information.

Child Protection Medical Examinations

Please visit the Pan Bedfordshire Interagency Child Protection Procedures for guidance, flowcharts and forms when you need a child or young person to be examined as results of a child protection concern.

If you are worried a child is being abused find help and advice on GOV.UK here.