Overseas trained teachers

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who are recognised as qualified school teachers in another EEA member state, may apply for QTS in England under the terms of the Council Directive 2005/35/EC, without the need to undertake further teacher training in England.

You need to make an application for QTS to the Teacher Regulation Agency (TRA). You can download the application form from the DfE website.


The Education (England) Regulations 2012 allow teachers trained in a country outside of the UK to teach in state-maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England for up to 4 years.

Teachers who qualified in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA) may apply for qualified teacher status without further training or assessment in England.

Teachers from overseas may be subject to UK Border Agency requirements.

Vacancies in Bedford Borough

If you are looking for a teaching post in Bedford Borough, you should apply directly to schools advertising suitable vacancies in the usual way.

Contact details

Teaching Information Line:       
Tel: 0800 3892500

Teacher enquiries:                     
Email: qts.enquiries@education.gsi.gov.uk
Tel: 0300 7900225