Economy and employment land study
The Economy and Employment land study forms part of the evidence base to the Bedford Borough Local Plan 2030. The Addendum provides an update to the assessment of employment land needs undertaken in 2015.
Strategic flood risk assessment
A Level 1 assessment of strategic flood risk has been completed for the borough area.
This Strategic Flood Risk Assessment forms part of the evidence base for the Bedford Borough Local Plan 2030.
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment Level 1 update (PDF)
- Figure 1 - Flood zones (PDF)
- Figure 2 - Recorded Historic Flooding and Sewer Flooding (PDF)
- Figure 3 - Surface Water Flooding (PDF)
- Figure 4 - Area Susceptible to Groundwater Flooding (PDF)
- Figure 5 - British Geological Society Bedrock Geology (PDF)
- Figure 6 - British Geological Society Bedrock Aquifer Designation (PDF)
- Figure 7 - Environment Agency Flood Warning and Flood Alert Areas (PDF)
- View Figure 8 - Hazard Mapping 1 in 25 Year Event (PDF)
- Figure 9 - Hazard Mapping 1 in 100 Year Event (PDF)
- Figure 10 - Hazard Mapping 1 in 1000 Year Event (PDF)
- Figure 11 - Hazard Mapping 1 in 100 Year Event Plus Climate Change (PDF)
- Figure 12 - Flood Defences, Flood Storage Areas and Structures (PDF)
Landscape character assessment
Consultants LUC worked with Bedford Borough Council to prepare an update to the 2007 landscape character assessment for Bedford Borough. The 2014 landscape character assessment provides technical guidance and evidence to underpin planning and landscape management decisions in the borough.
The Retail study 2015 forms part of the evidence base to the Bedford Borough Local Plan 2030. This provides an assessment of retail needs. An addendum was published in 2018 updating the forecasts.
Bedford Retail Study 2015
Strategic housing market assessment
Sets out the Objectively Assessed Housing Need for Bedford Borough and forms part of the evidence base for the Local Plan 2030.
Strategic housing and employment land availability assessment
Bedford's Strategic Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) was published in December 2018. This technical study assesses potential housing sites in order to provide evidence on housing supply and forms part of the evidence base to the Bedford Borough Local Plan 2030.
Bedford waterspace strategy
This study is intended to provide a framework for promoting river related projects, which will help stimulate long-term regeneration of the river corridor within the Bedford Area.
Water cycle study
The Council has worked with partners Anglian Water, Central Bedfordshire Council, the Environment Agency and the Internal Drainage Board Bedford Group to produce a Water Cycle Study. The study is in two parts, an Outline Report and a Detailed Report. The Water Cycle Study addresses water infrastructure issues associated with the delivery of growth to 2021.
Detailed water cycle study April 2012
- Part 1 - Introduction, Ch 1 and 2 (PDF)
- Part 2 - Ch 3 and 4 (PDF)
- Part 3 - Ch 5 and 6, Glossary (PDF)
- Appendices (PDF)