Self-build and custom housebuilding is housing built by individuals, or groups, for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders.
Self-build and custom housebuilding register
We are required by law to hold a register of people who are interested in self-build and custom housebuilding in Bedford Borough.
This register also includes people wanting to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build and custom housebuilding.
Read more about the self-build and custom housebuilding, legislation and the register:
- Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016
- GOV.UK's self-build and custom housebuilding guidance and register
- Self-build portal helps you choose the right route to your custom or self-build home (you will need to sign up for access to the portal)
- Help to Build marketing toolkit describes the government equity loan scheme designed to help fund self-build projects
We consider the register when carrying out our functions in relation to planning, housing, regeneration and the disposal of any land owned by the Council.
The register is not publicly available. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot to meet your specific needs will be made available.
Qualifying for the register
To be included on the register you (and all the individuals in an association) must be:
- age 18 or over
- a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- wanting to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home
Apply for inclusion on the register
To apply for your details to be placed on the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register as an individual, please download the attached form and guidance note and send your completed form (and any supporting evidence requested) to email@example.com.
- Application form for individuals (PDF)
- Guidance notes for individuals
- Application form for associations (PDF)
- Guidance notes for associations
As at 10 May 2022, following the 2021 annual register update, the Bedford Borough Council Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register consists of:
Individuals Part 1 = 53
Individuals Part 2 = 46
Associations Part 1 = 0
Associations Part 2 = 0
Total entries on register = 99
Updating an entry on the register
You can change or remove your details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to:
Housing Strategy Team
Bedford Borough Council
Room 415, Borough Hall