Self-build and custom housebuilding is housing built by individuals, or groups, for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders.
Self-build and custom housebuilding register
We are required by law to hold a register of people who are interested in self-build and custom housebuilding in Bedford Borough.
This register also includes people wanting to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build and custom housebuilding.
Read more about the self-build and custom housebuilding, legislation and the register:
- Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016
- GOV.UK's self-build and custom housebuilding guidance and register
- Self-build portal helps you choose the right route to your custom or self-build home (you will need to sign up for access to the portal)
We consider the register when carrying out our functions in relation to planning, housing, regeneration and the disposal of any land owned by the Council.
The register is not publicly available.
Qualifying for the register
To be included on the register you (and all the individuals in an association) must be:
- age 18 or over
- a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- wanting to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home
Apply for inclusion on the register
To apply for your details to be placed on the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register as an individual, please download the attached form and guidance note and send your completed form (and any supporting evidence requested) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.
- The Register is not made publicly available and you can ask to be removed from it at any time.
The Associations application form and guidance note will be available shortly. If you are considering applying as an Association, please send an email to email@example.com entitled “Association Form Request” (leaving your name) and we will contact you to discuss the application procedure.
As at 15 December 2020, the Bedford Borough Council Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register consisted of 172 individuals and zero associations (at that time the Council had one register including those with, and those without, a local connection).
Updating an entry on the register
You can change or remove your details by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the Housing Strategy Team at the address above.