These local development documents set out the spatial strategy for Bedford Borough.
A 'spatial strategy' is one which takes into account social, economic and environmental factors such as health and housing, and which does not purely focus on the regulation and control of land.
Preparing local development documents is an ongoing process and each document can take years to get adopted.
The adopted policies in these documents form the basis for decision making when planning applications are submitted to the council.
- Local Plan 2030
The new Local Plan sets out how much growth there should be in the borough (housing, jobs and associated infrastructure) up to 2030 and where it should take place.
- Allocations and Designations Local Plan 2013
Provides specific site allocations and land designations up until 2021
- Local Development Scheme 2018
The programme for the production of the Local Development Documents
- Bedford Local Plan 2002
- Interactive Map illustrating policies contained in adopted plans.
- PDF versions of the policies map are also available
- Statement of Community Involvement 2019
Community involvement in how the Council plans for the future of the borough
Monitors the Borough Council's planning policies year on year
- Planning for Traveller sites
Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA)
- Climate Change and Pollution SPD 2009
Provides guidance on sustainability issues including energy, pollution and waste storage
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
- Planning obligations
- Open Space SPD 2013
- High Street Strategy 2010
Sets out the future vision for Bedford high Street
- Parking Standards
- Shopfronts and Advertisements in Conservation Areas (PDF)
- Community Safety
- Wind Turbines Policy Guidance Note 2014 (PDF)
Provides guidance on the application of policy in relation to wind turbines
- Mobility Housing SPD
Provides guidance on mobility housing standards in the borough. Should be read in conjunction with the Policy Statement Update on Housing Standards
- Policy Statement Update - Housing Standards (PDF)
Sets out how Bedford Borough Council's policies for accessibility, water efficiency and energy should be interpreted from 1 October 2015 following the government's new technical standards for housing