High hedge complaints

Before you can make a formal complaint to us about a neighbour's high hedge, you must have taken all reasonable steps to resolve your hedge dispute.

See Over the garden hedge pages on GOV.UK for more information on how to resolve neighbour disputes without involving the Council.

As a last resort you can lodge a complaint with us and you will need to provide evidence that you tried to solve the issue otherwise your complaint may be rejected.

Make a formal complaint

High hedges are dealt with under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 which came into operation in England on the 1 June 2005.

There is a fee to make these complaints so we advise you to read the guidance before doing so. 

You can read more information about high hedges on the planning portal.

Use the high hedge form (PDF) to make a formal complaint.