Skip to main content

Traffic Regulation Orders

A Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is a legal way of controlling traffic in some way. They apply to the regulation of speed, weight, movement and parking of vehicles as well as regulating pedestrian movement. 

If drivers do not comply with these TROs, they are then guilty of an offence for which the courts may impose penalties such as fines, licence points or even disqualification.

Types of Traffic Regulation Orders

  • Permanent can only be introduced following the appropriate legal process. There are several stages to the introduction of a permanent TRO but once made remain in force until superseded or revoked.
  • Experimental are used to see if the recommendation will work in practice, before possibly converting it to a permanent TRO. They may be made for up to 18 months. Orders must be advertised at least seven days before they are due to come into effect. Consultation requirements must be followed before the order is made.
  • Temporary are used in temporary situations, eg when a road closure is required to facilitate road works or to avoid danger to the public. Orders may be made for up to 18 months.
  • Emergency are used to cover emergency situations as well as minor works involving an element of urgency. They may be made for a 5 day or 21 day duration depending on the circumstances.
  • Special event are used for temporary closures, prohibitions and/or restrictions to facilitate an event taking place on the public highway eg a parade, procession, race or community event.

Temporary or emergency situations

If you need a temporary or emergency closure, prohibition and/or restriction to be imposed while works are carried out on the public highway, please email the Council's Street Works Team on as soon as possible to discuss your proposals and request an application form.

The charges for processing temporary or emergency closures, prohibitions and restrictions are reviewed each year, and the charges for 2022 are:

  • Temporary = £1,398.60
  • Emergency = £769.80
  • Speed reduction = £1,398.60

Event taking place on the highway

If you are intending to hold an event on the public highway or other Council land, you may wish to have a temporary closure, prohibition and/or restriction to ensure the event can run safely. Email the Street Works Team on as soon as possible to discuss your proposals and request an application form.

We do not usually charge for processing a Special Event Order except under certain circumstances.

We usually require at least three months notice to process a Special Event Order, as we need to seek comments from the emergency services and various other stakeholders.

You may also wish to refer to A Guide to Organising Safe Events (PDF).