If you already have a dropped kerb (vehicle crossover) and want to prevent people parking in front of it, we can provide an H-bar marking.
This is a white line that runs across your driveway parallel to the kerb line. This emphasises that there is a driveway there and discourages parking in front of it. You can report nuisance parking here.
Costs of H-bar marking
The charge for the assessment is non-refundable and does not guarantee we will approve the H-bar marking request.
- H-bar assessment: £99.20 (non refundable)
- H-bar assessment for Blue Badge holders: free of charge
- H-bar installation: £119.00
How we assess an H-bar marking
An assessment will be carried out within 10 working days of receiving a completed application together with the appropriate assessment fee. Please note that we are unable to accept cheques or cash payments for fees, so please telephone 01234 718040 to make a debit or credit card payment prior to submitting your application. You will then be given a payment reference which you should include on your completed application form.
We will contact you after the assessment has been carried out to let you know whether your application has been successful.
If successful, we will send you a form requesting your consent to carry out the work and also a request for payment for the installation of the H-bar marking.
Conditions for an H-bar marking
- Applying for an H-bar is separate to applying for a dropped kerb (vehicle crossover). Having a dropped kerb is no guarantee that you’ll get an H-bar marking.
- Blue Badge holders don't need to pay the assessment fee, but the Blue Badge holder must reside at the dwelling for which the H-bar marking is requested, and consent must be given for us to consult with the Authority that issued the Blue Badge.
- Vehicles must be stored off the public highway.
- If your application is successful, and following receipt of the installation fee, we will endeavour to complete the work within 20 working days. However, this will be subject to appropriate working conditions, e.g. good weather and the area being clear of parked vehicles.
- We will be responsible for all future maintenance of the H-bar.
Request an H-bar marking
To request an H-bar marking, please contact the Highways Helpdesk on Highways.Helpdesk@bedford.gov.uk or telephone 01234 718003.