We work to improve public transport by looking after roadside facilities such as bus stops so they are of benefit to all bus users, especially for people who have mobility difficulties and those with young children.
Bus stops (the pole, flag and timetable cases) are usually owned by us or bus operator.
Bus shelters outside of the urban areas are usually owned by the relevant town or parish council.
Report damage to bus shelters in Bedford or Kempston
We look after bus shelters in Bedford and Kempston. Report any damage to the Highways Helpdesk on 01234 718003
Apply for temporary bus stop suspension
If you are a utility company or a private contractor, you will need to apply for bus stops to be suspended to allow for works to be undertaken.
Applications should be made at least 10 working days in advance. Applications made with less than 10 working days notice will be subject to a short notice charge of £29.30 irrespective of whether the application is approved.
- An additional charge will be made to provide bus stops at temporary locations for the duration of the works.
- Bus stop suspension: Charged at £150.00 per day, per stop, up to a maximum of £1050.00 excluding VAT for three days or more.
- If you require the council to provide temporary bus stops signs, an additional charge of £69 per stop will be required (for the duration of the works).
- Provision of temporary bus stops: charged at £64 per stop (for the duration of the works).
- All prices quoted are inclusive of VAT at 20%
Please complete an application form and send, together with your official order (**below), to:
Public Transport Team
Bedford Borough Council
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An official purchase order from your company must be enclosed for the process to proceed. In each case the Public Transport team will need to be contacted for a quote and the purchase order must be to this value. Please note that we will invoice you at the end of the process. If applying online you can upload this as part of the application.
Please do not send money prior to this.
How we choose bus stop locations
Sites are chosen after taking into account a number of factors:
- road safety, taking into consideration volume and type of traffic at all times of the day, speed limit, road width, closeness to traffic signals and road junctions, property frontages, parking, stopping distances, sight lines
- convenience and safety for bus passengers
- impact on residents outside whose property a proposed bus stop is to be located
We notify residents close to the planned bus stop before installation.