The Bedford Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) is an area where parking regulations have been introduced to deal with a range of parking problems. Designated parking bays are provided with signs indicating their use. Yellow line restrictions – single and double - apply outside the designated bays.
Enforcement of the bays and lines is carried out by the Council’s Civil Enforcement Officers. Only a vehicle displaying a parking permit, a valid pay-and-display ticket, a Visitor Voucher or a Disabled Badge can park in the designated bays. Go to the Permits page for further details and application forms.
Advantages of the CPZ:
The Council believes the controlled parking zone will bring the following advantages:
- It allows for a fair distribution of parking spaces for local residents by removing commuter parking. This is achieved by the creation of a permit-parking scheme.
- It creates a more pleasant residential environment due to the reduction in vehicles looking for a parking space in your street.
- There should be a reduction in traffic congestion in general with a corresponding reduction in pollution and improved public transport reliability.
- Visitors, doctors/medical staff can find parking more easily.
- There is a greater turnover of parking spaces in shopping areas to the benefit of local traders and shoppers.
- As the CPZ is required to be self-financing, it will not be funded from local taxation and any surpluses will be used to fund improvements to alternative modes of transport, particularly public transport.
- Pedestrian and highway safety is improved by a reduction in illegal parking on yellow lines.
- There is an improvement in security as Civil Enforcement Officers are conspicuous as they patrol the streets.
However the Council recognises that there are some disadvantages with the CPZ:
- Residents, businesses, visitors and shoppers need to pay for on-street parking.
- Commuter parking may be displaced to other areas outside the controlled parking zone.
- It does not protect residents' parking space outside the controlled parking zone's hours of operation.
- It does not guarantee parking space immediately outside individual properties.
If a vehicle is parked in contravention of a Traffic Regulation Order (e.g. by parking in the wrong place or failing to display a valid parking permit/ticket) the vehicle would be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) with the charge being £70 or £50 depending on the nature of the contravention.
CPZ parking capacity
View details of parking spaces available within the Controlled Parking Zone (Excel, 311KB).
Zone A - Click to view map of Zone A (PDF)
Zone B - Click to view map of Zone B (PDF)
Zone C - Click to view map of Zone C (PDF)
Zone D - Click to view map of Zone D (PDF)
Zone E - Click to view map of Zone E (PDF)
Zone F - Click to view map of Zone F (PDF)
Zone G - Click to view map of Zone G (PDF)
Zone H - Click to view map of Zone H (PDF)
Zone J - Click to view map of Zone J (PDF)
Zone K - Click to view map of Zone K (PDF)
Zone L - Click to view map of Zone L (PDF)
Zone M - Click to view map of Zone M (PDF)
Zone N - Click to view map of Zone N (PDF)