Late temporary event notice

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales and it is less than 10 working days to the event, you may be able to submit a Late TEN. You must give the late temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than five working days before the event. This does not include the day the notice is submitted or the date of the event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Unless you submit an online application you must also give a copy of the notice to both the Police and to Environmental Health at the Council no later than ten working days before the event.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of two Late TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 10 Late TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events. 

Eligibility criteria 

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a prescribed statutory format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the notice giver's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

Apply online

Apply online for a late temporary event notice 

You can also download a copy of the late temporary event notice (PDF).

Regulation summary 

Summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence:

Trade associations

Contact the licensing team


Bedford Borough Council
Licensing Service
Cauldwell Street
Bedford MK42 9AP