Personal licence

Anyone who plans to sell or supply alcohol or to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol must apply for a personal licence. Before applying for a personal licence you will need to have obtained a Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. 

A Personal Licence holder may also submit up to 50 Temporary Event Notices in each calendar year for the supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshments other than under the terms of a Premises Licence.

Please click on the links below to download forms for a Personal Licence application

Section 36 of, and Schedule 4 to the Immigration Act 2016 (the 2016 Act) amend the 2003 Act to provide that in England and Wales:

Premises licences to sell alcohol or provide late night refreshment and personal licences cannot be issued to an individual who does not have permission to be in the UK, or is not entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Please refer to the guidance notes for each individual application.

Pay for a licence

Personal licence - £37

Pay for a personal licence

Personal licence qualification providers

Personal licence renewal

Please note that there is no requirement to renew your Personal Licence if the expiry date is after 1st May 2015.

However if your personal details have changed since your Personal Licence was issued, there is a requirement to inform the issuing Local Authority of these changes.

The fee payable on a change of address or name application is £10.50 and you will be required to return both parts of your original Personal Licence.

DBS Basic Disclosure - apply online

To apply for a Basic Disclosure application Online, please visit The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for details.

GDPR and Privacy Statements

Contact the Licensing team


Bedford Borough Council
Licensing Service
Cauldwell Street
Bedford MK42 9AP