Anyone who wishes to carry out ear piercing, tattooing, acupuncture or electrolysis with Bedford Borough must be registered with Bedford Borough Council. This registration is required by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. The only exemption to this requirement to register is where the skin piercing is carried out by, or under the supervision of a medical practitioner.
Registration is required for the premises and for each person carrying out skin piercing at the premises. The purpose of the registration is to ensure that basic standards of health and safety are met, both at the premises and by the person performing the piercing.
Registration and payment process
You can apply to register by downloading and completing the appropriate form below and returning it to the Borough Council with the appropriate fee:
- Application form for skin piercing registration - premises (£156.70)
- Application form for skin piercing registration - person (£92.50 per person)
Registration depends on your compliance with the byelaws for the appropriate procedure. Copies of the byelaws can be downloaded below:
- Ear piercing byelaws (PDF)
- Acupuncture byelaws (PDF)
- Electrolysis byelaws (PDF)
- Tattooing byelaws (PDF)
Once the application form is received an officer will contact you to arrange a visit. This visit is to ensure that you are complying with the byelaws prior to your registration being granted.
We aim to process your registration within 28 days of the receipt of your application and payment.
At present the Council does not operate a registration scheme for the piercing of any part of the body other than the ears. The Council would expect any body piercing to be carried out in the same manner as any other skin piercing.
At present the Council does not operate a registration scheme for micropigmentation. The Council would expect any micropigmentation to be carried out in the same manner as any other skin piercing.
Guidance documents can be downloaded using the links below:
- Advice and Safe Practice for Permanent Tattooing (PDF)
- Advice and Safe Practice for Body Piercing (PDF)
- Advice and Safe Practice for Micropigmentation (PDF)
- Electrolysis, Piercing, Tattooing and Micro-pigmentation SR12 Guidance (PDF)
Further information is also available from the British Acupuncture Council.