Skip to main content

Gambling application forms

Premises licences and other authorisations

Central government has prescribed the application forms for Premises Licences and other Authorisations under the Gambling Act 2005. These application forms are available below: 

When making an application for a Premises Licence, notice must be given to each of the responsible authorities within a period of 7 days beginning on the date on which the application is made.

Details of responsible authorities, fees associated with authorisations and useful links are available at the Gambling Act 2005 web page.

Notice application forms

To download these 'Notice' application forms, click below:


Central Government has prescribed the application forms for Permits under the Gambling Act 2005. These application forms are available below: 

Gambling Act 2005 Application Forms in more detail

Licence Summary

Facilities used for betting, gaming and participating in a lottery as defined in the Gambling Act 2005 require a Premises Licence or Permit from the Local Licensing Authority.  Non-commercial societies also require to register with the Local Licensing Authority to operate small scale lotteries.

Eligibility Criteria

The Authority aims to grant applications to provide facilities for gambling if we consider that the application is:

  • reasonably consistent with the following licensing objectives;

(a)      preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime,

(b)      ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and

(c)      protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

  • in accordance with the Council’s Statement of Gambling Licensing Principles;
  • in accordance with the codes of practice;
  • and in accordance with the Gambling Commission Guidance

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

To apply for a Premises Licence or Permit, applicants must complete and submit an application form (with the required scale plans of the facilities) and pay the required fee. They must serve copies of the application on the responsible authorities and to give notice at the site and in a local newspaper.  Responsible authorities and those who could be affected by the proposed activities may make representations on the application within 28 days of the notices.

The Licensing Authority will then consider all relevant representations received and determine whether to grant the Licence/Permit. This determination will be by a Licensing Sub-Committee of Councillors. Where no representations are received the Licence will be granted without the need for reference to a Sub-Committee.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below. The target completion period for processing these applications is up to 50 working days.

Apply online (You will need Version 9 (or higher) of Adobe Reader)

The online form facility is not currently available 

You can download application forms using the links on this page. Once signed, you can also return them electronically. Online payment of the required fee is available using the links on the left hand side of this web page.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, you should contact the Licensing Authority or if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress


Trade Associations


On this page