Skip to main content

Hiring out horses licence

Changes to animal licensing laws

The Government published updated legislation for animal businesses which became effective on 1 October 2018. Under the new regulations, animal boarding businesses (including home boarders and day carers), dog breeders, pet shops and riding establishments will be covered under a single type of licence from that date. It will be known as an “animal activity licence”, with new nationally-set licence conditions for businesses providing animal related services.

Businesses operating these activities will need to comply with the new conditions and will be assessed before the licence is granted to make sure they can meet them. Please, therefore, consider the conditions below before making an application which must be submitted at least 10 weeks before expiry.

Before you apply 

Please read the guidance notes below carefully before you apply.  

The Procedural Guidance for Animal Activity Licensing will give you an overview of how the Licensing authority will assess your application and determine the licence.

If you need further information please contact us at

Application forms and guidance 

Pay for your licence

Pay for a hiring out horses licence

Public register of animal activity licences

See below for a list of animal activity licences granted by Bedford Borough Council.  

Note - Star ratings are an indication of the degree of compliance with licensing criteria under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, as at the time of the last application, and may not necessarily reflect the quality of service or provision of care for animals which is delivered at that business. Ratings do not constitute any form of recommendation by or from Bedford Borough Council.

Download the Public Register of Animal Activity Licences.

GDPR and privacy statements

View the full privacy statement for riding establishment licences