Skip to main content

Energy advice for schools

Schools can take steps to managing their use of energy, spotting times where it is unnecessarily high and take steps to improve energy efficiency.

Read GOV.UK's tips to reduce energy and water use in schools.

Renewable energy

Every school has the potential to generate its own renewable energy. As most schools have a large roof, solar PV is normally a good option. There are, however, alternatives, such as wind turbines, or for heat generation, biomass boilers or air/ground source heat pumps.

These websites provide information and guidance to schools on better understanding and managing your energy bills:

Get a discount through the Council 

99% of Bedford Borough schools have signed up to the Council's Service Level Agreement (PDF) which means that schools benefit from being on the Council's energy supply contract and receive a number of other services.


If your school has any queries regarding your energy bills, please email the Energy Team on

Understand your energy bills

Bills are based upon the difference between present and previous meter readings. The type of meter reading is denoted on your bill next to the readings:

  • A = Actual read where the company reads the meter manually themselves
  • C = Customer read where you supply the company with a manual reading you have taken
  • E = Estimated read which the company predicts based on consumption profile

If you have been billed based on an estimate, you can provide the supplier with a customer reading for them to reissue the bill.

How to read your meters

We often have to check that meters are working correctly and ensure that sites are being billed accurately. In order for us to do this we may ask for sites to take meter reads, we need sites to know how to accurately take these reads as there are often many different types of meter which can get confusing.

Display energy certificates

All public buildings including schools are legally required to display an up to date Display Energy Certificate and possess an Advisory Report.

Requirements under the scheme will be dependent on the size of your building:

Size of Building Display Energy Certificate Advisory Report
1,000m² Required - Valid for 12 months Required - Valid for 7 years
500m² - 1,000m² Required - Valid for 10 years Required - Valid for 10 years
250m² - 500m² Required - Valid for 10 years Required - Valid for 10 years

Read more about Display Energy Certificates and Advisory Reports (PDF).

On this page