Skip to main content

Environmental permitting

Companies carrying out activities that could potentially cause emissions to air, land or water may need to hold an Environmental Permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007.

If certain changes occur to the activity, or the company changes hands, then the permit may need to be varied or transferred. If the activity ceases, then the permit will need to be surrendered.

Check if you need an environmental permit and apply.

View the current public register of permit holders

Fees and charges

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions will be attached to all permits. There may also be a charge to vary, transfer or surrender an existing permit. Annual subsistence fees are payable each year; fees for the current year can be found on the DEFRA website.

How to apply 

Contact the Commercial regulation department at Bedford Borough Council for an application form for a permit, to tell us about a change to your existing circumstances or to pay an annual subsistence fee.


Or write to:
Environmental Health (Commercial regulation)
Bedford Borough Council
Borough Hall
Cauldwell Street
MK42 9AP

Current public consultations

New permit applications and variations involving a substantial change require public consultation. A substantial change is one where the change in the operation of an installation may have significant negative effects on human beings or the environment.  

BCA Fleet solutions, Coronation business park, Kiln Rd, Kempston Hardwick, Bedford, MK43 9PR

New application for a respraying of road vehicles at the above address.

Send comments or for further information contact

Consultation will end 18 June 2022.