A Safe and Well Visit is a free service carried out by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service. It involves a pre-arranged visit to your home to offer advice on how to make it safer and, where appropriate, fit smoke alarms or other specialist fire detection equipment free of charge.
Visits are tailored to the specific needs of the household - they normally last between 30 and 45 minutes. The fire service personnel who visit always carry identification.
Do you know someone who may be a risk of fire or benefit from a visit?
Someone may be more at risk if they:
- have a disability
- smoke or have a substance or alcohol dependency
- have adult social care needs
- are over the age of 65
- live alone or in a cluttered environment
A free Safe and Well visit includes:
- Home fire safety assessment
- Free provision of equipment including smoke alarms
- Advice on safety issues (such as cooking, smoking and falls)
- Guidance on planning an escape route
- Referrals and signposting to other agencies if required
Request a visit for your self or someone else
Phone: 0800 043 5042
Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Safe and Well initiative, supported by Bedford Community Safety Partnership and the Safer Streets Project.