We want to help local residents who are struggling financially because of the Coronavirus outbreak.
Residents on the lowest income already do not pay any Council Tax due to our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
The government has announced a COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund, and this means:
- if you already receive some Council Tax Support but still have part of the bill to pay, you will now get a bigger reduction – and in some cases will not have to pay any Council Tax at all. This discount will be automatically applied to your Council Tax bill if you are eligible, and we will send you an updated bill.
- if your circumstances have changed and you think you are now eligible for Council Tax Support, please tell us by going to our Council Tax Support page to claim online.
- if you are having immediate difficulty paying your Council Tax bill, please get in touch with our trained advisors who will be able to help. Telephone us on 01234 718097 or email LocalTaxation@bedford.gov.uk
Please contact us on 01234 718097 or by emailing CustomerServices@bedford.gov.uk if you are in immediate financial crisis. We already have hardship support and crisis grants in place and want to help.
At this crucial time it’s very important that those who can pay their Council Tax continue to pay as normal to support the important services in our community. Council services are under huge pressure, working to deliver care for the vulnerable and elderly, and keeping vital day-to-day operations running.
Find quick and easy ways to pay your Council Tax.
- No queuing, no cheques to write or letters to post
- A choice of 4 different payments dates either 1st, 7th, 15th or 25th of the month
- Pay in instalments of up to 12 months (except when paying on 1st of the month)
Click on the button below to pay your Council Tax online.
Our 24-hour payment line 01234 718061. You will need the Council Tax account number shown on your bill, and your debit card or credit card.
Quote our Bank Sort Code 60-02-13, our Bank Account No. 62288849, and the Council Tax Account Number shown on your bill.
Post Office or Payzone outlet
Pay by cash or debit card: Take your Council Tax bill with you every time you pay so that the bar code can be scanned.
Pay in 10 or 12 monthly instalments
Council Tax is normally due in 10 monthly instalments on the 7 of each month from April to January. You may pay by 12 monthly payments, from April to March, on request.
Difficulty paying your Council Tax
Contact the Council straight away to discuss your payment options.
Otherwise the Council will take action if payments are not received by the due dates. This can mean you lose the right to pay by instalments. Legal action may also cost you in legal fees and fines.
Please see our Fair Debt Collection policy (PDF) for more information.