Skip to main content

How much should you pay

Find out what Council Tax band you are in

Find out what Council Tax band you are in and how much should you pay:

Find out which Council Tax band you are in

Council Tax bands are set by the Valuation Office Agency, part of HM Revenue & Customs.

Most residential properties are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per property, whether it is owned or rented. This includes a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home, or houseboat. The value of each property is assessed by the Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency.

Council Tax bands

Each property is in one of eight bands based on its estimated open market capital value at 1 April 1991. The band for your dwelling is shown on your bill. The eight bands are as follows:

  • A – Up to and including £40,000
  • B – £40,001 - £52,000
  • C – £52,001 - £68,000
  • D – £68,001 - £88,000
  • E – £88,001 - £120,000
  • F – £120.001 - £160,000
  • G – £160,001 - £320,000
  • H – More than £320,000

The Council Tax valuations are based on the price a property would have fetched if it had been sold on 1 April 1991. A current increase or fall in housing market value won't affect a property's valuation. Such movements in general prices will not be a reason for changing your Council Tax band.

Amount of Council Tax payable

The amount of Council Tax payable on each band is set each year. Details of the amount payable for each Council Tax band can be found below (all PDF documents).