What Council Tax band am I in?

The amount of Council Tax that you have to pay, whether your home is owned or rented, is determined by the 'valuation banding', which is assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), part of Her Majesty's Revenues & Customs. The banding is not set by the Council.

Your Council Tax bill shows which band your property is in, or you can check your Council Tax band and how much you should pay by using the GOV.UK postcode search below:

Find out which Council Tax band you are in

Council Tax bands

Each property is in one of eight bands:

  • A – Up to and including £40,000
  • B – £40,001 - £52,000
  • C – £52,001 - £68,000
  • D – £68,001 - £88,000
  • E – £88,001 - £120,000
  • F – £120.001 - £160,000
  • G – £160,001 - £320,000
  • H – More than £320,000

Council Tax bands in England have been in effect since 1993 and properties are allocated a band based on their value at 1 April 1991. Increases or decreases in housing market value do not affect a property's valuation or Council Tax band.

Amount of Council Tax payable

The amount of Council Tax payable in each band is set each year. Details of the amount payable for each Council Tax band can be found below (all PDF documents).